Monday, April 9, 2012

Tutorial Tuesday

First Tutorial Tuesday and first time hand altering photos in 4 years! I bought this pretty neat book about 4 years ago when I was really into art journaling. I took it off my book shelf the other day and looked through it. I had forgotten all the cool techniques and different things you can do to alter photographs.

Photobucket


Altering Photos with Beach

Photobucket

Photobucket



What you'll need:
Photographs (dark photographs work best)
one swallow pan of water (rinse pan)
one swallow pan 50% bleach + 50% water (bleach pan)
tongs or rubber gloves
work surface safe for bleaching

Photobucket

Photobucket


1.) Dip your photo in the water/rinse pan
Photobucket


2.) remove from water/rinse pan and place in bleach pan
(make sure its completing submerged)
Photobucket


3.) as soon as you see the colors on the photo changing immediately take it out and rinse it in the water pan
( you can see the edges turning orange on this photo)
Photobucket

4). once its in the the final water/rinse the most of the color
will wash off.
Photobucket


The end results.
Photobucket


Tips
Timing is everything!
My first photo (my dog) was left in the bleach a little too long ( I was busy snapping pictures) you can see its completing orange/yellow.
Try not to touch your photo while its in the bleach. (you can also see where I touched the tongs to the middle of my dog photo, the tongs scratched all the color off, leaving a yellow spot in the middle of my dogs face)
If your photos turn white during the bleaching all of your emulsion was removed, next time you'll
need to work more quickly.
I suggest working with a few test photos first.
You can use a paint brush and brush on the bleach if you don't want the entire photo bleached.

You can tape/use stickers to preserve the color when you bleach.
Photobucket

or use Tide bleach pens to write on your photos.
Photobucket


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I never would have thought to use bleach on pictures, but it looks pretty snazzy. I hope you share more ideas : ]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of doing this before but the results look great! :)

    teaforowls.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete